Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013: The year of the cookie.

Bah! Where have you been all my life?!?!

Oh wait, it's me, you say?

Indeed, it's true. I've been missing. Like lost-in-the-night missing.  I needed the year 2012 to come to a close. A peaceful close. A close that went undocumented and unnoticed by my electronic self. Like most years, 2012 was a year full of ups and downs. Unlike most years, it was a year of very high ups and very low downs. A year that I would never give up, yet never do again. It ended, and I came through it. Older, a little squishier, possibly smarter and a whole lot harder. RIP 2012, and good riddance.

Moving on...Have you met my husband? He likes lists. He has a list of lists of lists, toss in a spreadsheet or two or nine. One of those lists is his "2013 Resolutions" (which, fingers crossed, will include "Never participate in Movember again."). Jumping on his listy bandwagon, I'm sharing my own 2013 version below for, if nothing else, the public shaming I'm due when I burn the cookies and my royal icing looks like cottage cheese. 

1. Blog more. Although my posting history may lead you to believe otherwise, I do indeed like blogging. I should do more of it. Off to a good start on this one, I suppose.

2. Fully furnish the house. Have you ever bought a house before? Turns out, houses require a lot of things. Like a trillion and eight things. We've purchased a few, and the hunt for the remaining trillion and three is actively underway. A few purchases as of late include a TV for my bathroom (Matt Lauer comes on TV earlier than Goose gets up. Problem solved.) and these beauts below.

3. Become a cookie-making machine. When I take on a hobby, I'm out to master it. If you live in a 15 mile radius of me, chances are you'll be on the tasting end of this one. Good thing I have a guest house kitchen starting in March that I can set up shop in, because I've already spent a miniature fortune on cookie supplies I never knew existed. But.must.have.this.second.otherwise.my.cookies.obviously.won't.work.right.

SweetSugarBelle.....I die.
4. Obligatory weight loss. 2012 found me at my finest. As of 6pm on Saturday, June 2nd, I was the most fit I've been in my adult life. And it was all downhill from there, my feeble friends. (Goose thinks Resolutions 3 and 4 clash. I think he smells like roaches.) Cheers to turning this caboose around, no pun intended.

Body=2xArm. Bah.

5. Spanish at rest. Those Latins, they're quick. Their Spanish tends to sputter at about eight times the pace of mine, which means I'm either firing on all cylinders when I'm with my Mexican inlaws or lost in the dust. The former tends to be a bit exhausting (Don't attempt active listening for all hours of the day. Your ears will bleed and then you will die.), and the latter tends to be a bit lonely. After ten-plus years of hearing/processing/speaking decent Spanish, I'm on a quest for the peaceful kind. The kind where I can switch off my brain and still follow the flow. Wish me luck of the tongue. Those rolled-Rs are a beast.


6. Practice law like a champ. I'm now in my fourth year of law practice - isn't that crazy? Some days I feel like I would fail at 5th grade math, much less be able to provide legal counsel to some of the biggest companies in the world. (If you happen to be one of my partners and just read that, do not fear, on those days, I triple check my calculations. And then check again.) 2012 was a year that required an abnormal amount of personal focus. For 2013, capital markets, I'm looking at you, ol' chap.

And so, here we go, 2013. It shall be gold and grand. And perhaps a tad bit glittery.

No comments:

Post a Comment