Saturday, September 1, 2012

[Insert really long time period here.]

I hate blog posts that go like this: "Sorry that I haven't posted for [insert really long time period here]. I've been busy with [life/love/happiness]."

You're not going to find any apologies here, friends. Truth of the matter is that I sometimes in life, I just have to work a lot. Like, a lot. I love my job and love my firm, which is why it is bearable. But it also means that when I am in the depths of a deal, I will go radio silent for weeks on end. 

So let's agree this is how it will go: You will miss me, I will miss this blog, and then I will come back. Deal? Deal.

Here's how my radio silence becomes bearable - during my two weeks of insane work, I also managed to sneak in a quick trip to the northeast where Goose has been training for a few weeks.

Not to be Cheese McCheeserson, but New York City is such a special place to us. At this time last year, we were seriously planning a move to the City. For one reason or another (sweaty faces, lack of closet space), we decided to stay in Houston instead, but we try to visit as much as we can. To the extent you find it remotely interesting, here's a quick rundown of what I did.

Thursday - I worked. Rats. One of the great things of working for such a massive firm is that it is pretty easy for me to pop into one of our other offices as a visiting attorney. So, I spent Thursday in our NYC office, visiting with our NYC attorneys. Our office also happens to be on 5th Avenue in an amazing shopping location. So, rats again.

How's a girl to resist this outside her door?

I scooted out early on Thursday afternoon and walked the city. I left 100+ degree heat in Houston for the mid-70's there. I win. I met up with one of my bests, Face, for a girl's night. Face and her husband are some of our absolute favorites - both in NYC and in the universe. One of the major downfalls to deciding to stay in Houston is not getting to see them every single day. (Which is how often I would be stopping by, because Face always makes us great drinks, and Winston, their bulldog, melts my heart.)

We met for drinks in a bar we've been to before. It wasn't TGIFridays, so that's always a plus. We chugged a bottle of white wine, stuffed our faces with bar food, and slammed an oatmeal raisin shot. And then, because we're generally awesome late-20's-aged women, we went to see Mamma Mia. Don't be jealous. 

My face and Face.
Also, because we're late-20's aged women, we carry flats in our purse and leave our heels on the floor.

The show was ummmmmm, terrible? Perhaps because I was secretly comparing it to Rock of Ages, which is the MOST glorious Broadway show I've ever seen. Don't be fooled though, it didn't keep me from totally singing along out loud.

Friday - I got up with the best of intentions of going to the American Museum of Natural History (think "Night of the Museum" fame). It's my favorite - especially the whale and Teddy Roosevelt. 


However, once I got out onto the city, I realized that I was a tad bit hungover, our hotel was nowhere close to the B or C line, and the museum was 50 blocks north. Um, nevermind. I went and hung out in the NYC Library instead. 

The NYC Library IS the Harry Potter Great Hall. How have I never noticed this before?
 Then I met Face for lunch at Bryant Park Grill. Lovely.


Friday night, Goose and I went for drinks to Face and husband's apartment. We also had reservations at a nearby steakhouse, but the combination of Winston's amazing face, the fantastic drinks we were offered, and the very tasty cheese plate we snacked on meant we never made it to dinner. Face and husband, thanks for having us as always, and don't think we've forgotten about Croatia. 

Mildly annoyed because Aunt Randi won't share the cheese plate with him.
Saturday - We hiked it to Grand Central and took the train to Darien, Connecticut, where one of Goose's great friends, J, is from. He graciously invited us to his parent's home for the night. 


We met all of his Darien childhood friends, had several rum and punches at his childhood yacht club, and dined on a lobster broil setup on the beach.

Not a bad view, I'd say.

J and his fiance, C, are joining us in Houston soon. Actually, Goose and J have requested race car bunk beds setup, so you can imagine where this is going....


All in all, a pretty decent break from work life I'd say.

As a general blog programming note, someone asked me the other day what my blog was about. And, although it may be true, I was strangely uncomfortable with my response: "Um, I guess, me?" Weird, huh? So, I'm making a conscious effort going forward to add non-narcissistic things here. A book review, perhaps? A few good restaurants I've been to? Ugh, I'm bored already. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I won't have to trade in the gold for silver.

So, the radio silence is over. Proceed accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment